Virtual Railfan Tour - Philippines Lopez Mill - A Working Shay

 

We visited the Lopez mill to see a three truck Shay at work

We were surprised to have an armed guard accompany us on our trip into the cane fields. Turns out the reason might have been to guard us against unscrupulous young ladies.

Most of the work was by diesels

And we had to keep out of the way.

There was a pause while we let a long train of empties go by.


There was a pause while the crew decided where they would take us.  I was standing here on the road when I was approached by a nice looking young lady, maybe about twenty. She asked me in good English where I was from.  I replied that I lived in Canada.
She said: "Would you please marry me and take me back with you?"
I explained that unfortunately I was already married.
By this time Mary had wandered up and joined us. The young lady then replied:
"That's alright. Take me anyway."
I made light of it by explaining that she wouldn't fit into my suitcase and she went off disappointed.
It certainly gave me pause for thought,

A location I well remember

We went further into the cane fields

Good light on the left hand side

But it was difficult to get good shots of the more interesting right hand side


The cylinders remained in the shadow all day

The Lopez Shay has now been put on a plinth and all railway operations closed down. I wonder what the young ladies now do for sport.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Railfan Tour of Switzerland - Wednesday - Zurich Hauptbahnhof Part One

Thursday 21 September - Wrap Up

Saturday 2 September - The Gotthard and more